Skip to main content

Adventures in Multitasking and Brain Implosions

I'm fairly good at multitasking with my day-to-day tasks, but an obstacle I always seem to run into is submitting work while simultaneously churning out new material. It doesn't make any sense; with poetry, especially, I can usually turn each piece around in a timely fashion, so I don't need the endless hours to edit I might need for a novel or other long manuscript. And yet. I have trouble focusing on writing or editing if I'm in submission mode...which I'm more or less always in.

The only solution I've come up with is to take a week (or some period of time) to knock out a chunk of submissions, then go back to writing. Rinse and repeat. But surely, there's a way for me to rewire my brain to do both at once. Today alone, I did laundry and washed dishes and packed things in boxes, all at the same time, so I'm obviously a superhero in some sense.

Oh, and I hit another obstacle when I go to title poems. Or anything I write. I don't know why this happens, but there are two solutions. I either have someone else name them after I've written them, or I throw some adverbs and fruit words in a hat, blindly choose two, and put them together as a title.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Short Story in Meridian

Once upon a time, I had a dream I opened a chapbook store with Jeff Goldblum. I wrote a poem about it (obviously), which turned into a short story, which Meridian chose to publish in their latest issue. They have a free epub version available on their site, in addition to physical copies for sale.


This is my favorite story I've written, and I couldn't be more thrilled that such a great journal loved it as much as I do.

Poems In Public Pool And Forthcoming Story

I recently had a couple of pop culture poems go up at Public Pool that you can read here. The first one, "Angela Chase Weather Report," is from my chapbook, PLAYING ONE ON TV, about iconic female television characters.

I'm also super excited to have a flash story called "Copy Machine" forthcoming in the next issue of The Conium Review alongside some fabulous writers, including one of my favorites, Shane Jones. Check out the full contributor list here.